Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Judicial Law Clerk

Welcome to an average day...

I come in and say hi to the secretary who usually sits here:


Then I go say hi to my boss who sits here:


And I pick up one of the files that is either sitting on his desk (see above) or is stacked on this shelf:


And then I usually go set up shop here:


This is one of the hearing rooms used by either of the two court commissioners. 
The rest of the room looks like this:


Generally, the court commissioner's schedules don't overlap, so I can stay in this room all day. However, on this day, I had to move to a jury room, which looks like this:


And on this day, I had the honor of working on this gigantic file:


Lucky me, right? This is one of the larger files I've worked so far.

A word of advice to any of my attorney friends who may read this- don't let a court file get this big! The judge's crabbiness tends to increase with the size of the file. This particular case is only at the summary judgment phase...imagine what it will look like if it goes to trial!

This brief in support of summary judgment is 42 pages long.


Not sure if the judge read it or not...but I did! 

Sometimes, I get to sit in on court proceedings...but I didn't have a chance on this particular day...too much reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment